⇓⇓⇓Updated information in RED below.⇓⇓⇓
When I found out that Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood would only be available on Netflix until July 1, 2016 I was so sad! I know it may sound silly, but Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood has sentimental value to my family! It really is a part of our lives and a part of our hearts! Season 2 came to Netflix at just the right time! Episodes 1: The Tiger Family Grows and 2: The Baby is Here were just what we needed to help our son adjust to his new baby sister. Throughout the pregnancy we watched the episodes and talked about the changes that were about to happen in our family. I had a Scheduled C-Section planned so the day that we were going to go into the hospital to have the baby, we watched these episodes together. He even got his new baby sister a present and painted her a picture just like Daniel Tiger did for baby Margaret. When ever my daughter touches my son’s hand he says, “Look mom! She is holding my paw, just like Daniel Tiger!”
Aside from our emotional connection with this great show, Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood teaches kids how to deal with everyday situations. The cute jingles in this show create a fun environment that kids respond well to. We sing at least one if not more every day! Some of our favorite jingles are:
- One more time and then we’re done.
- That was fun and now we’re done.
- Stop and listen to stay safe.
- While you wait, you can play, sing or imagine anything.
- Use your words, use your words.
- When you feel so mad that you want to roar, take a deep breath and count to four. 1-2-3-4.
- When you got to go potty, Stop, and go right away.
- Flush, and wash and be on your way.
- You can be a big helper in your family.
- When you’re sick, rest is best, rest is best.
- You gotta try new foods ’cause they might taste good.
- Grown ups come back.
- Thank you, for everything you do!
Somehow when you sing these jingles, amazing things happen! It can turn sticky situations into a game. It is like magic, really! We love the show. It will be really sad to see Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood leave Netflix. So When I found out, I thought, “Where else can I watch Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood?” Here is what I found out:
I searched on Amazon Prime Video, and sure enough it is there, but it is only available till June 30, 2016 so that doesn’t do us much good.This morning my friend let me know that Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood is still available on Amazon Prime Video! When I checked a few days ago it said Seasons 1-5 were included with my prime membership until June 30. While this was true, it was a little misleading. I thought that this meant that Danel Tiger would no longer be available after June 30.⇓ When I checked it out today, this is what I found! I am so glad I was wrong! ⇓ Not only is Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood on Amazon Prime, but they added Season 6! This is great news! Since Amazon Prime is a valid option now, here are some details on becoming an Amazon Prime member. Amazon Prime membership is only $10.99 per month and includes Prime Video, free two day shipping on all Amazon Prime products and more. My family has really enjoyed having this service. You can click here to sign up for a free 30 day trial . ⇓
- Of course there is the obvious, watch it on PBS. PBS is a free local station available to you on your TV if you have an antenna. You can get one here. Unfortunately we live too far away to receive a signal for this station. We live way on the edge of town so I think our circumstances are pretty rare. This may very well be a viable option for you.
- DVDs: There are several Daniel Tiger DVDs available on Amazon. I might have to buy the Big Brother Daniel DVD for my son.
- There are a couple of online forums that have Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood available, but in many cases you have to watch them on your phone, which drains your battery. Also your phone use is limited when your child is using it, which can be annoying. I have everything on my phone, my grocery list, budget, To Do list, email, podcasts etc. I really do not prefer this method, especially since screen time for my toddler means I better be getting stuff done. For example, since my grocery list is on my phone, it kinda defeats the purpose of distracting him with a quick show (on my phone) while I get it organized (on my phone). Too bad it can’t be in two places at once. You could let them watch it on your computer or laptop, but then you have to worry about them pressing buttons they aren’t supposed to, or accessing sites you didn’t want them on. My solution to this problem is Chrome Cast. We got a Chrome Cast as a Christmas gift from my sister and brother in law a couple of years ago, and it has completely changed our TV watching experience. It just plugs into the HDMI port on the back of your Flat Screen and is powered by a USB. From your phone or iPad, you can ‘cast’ Netflix, Hulu Plus, YouTube, and several other streaming sites to your TV. You can also cast ANY WEBSITE from your computer directly to your TV. All you have to do is use Google Chrome Browser instead of the other popular browsers such as Internet Explorer, Safari, or Firefox. When you use Google Chrome, a Casting option appears in the upper right corner of your browser, you just click on it and select the TV you would like to cast it to. Your phone or computer doesn’t even have to be in the same room as the TV. If my son has completed all of his morning tasks and I am still getting ready for the day, I can cast a show onto the TV downstairs for him while I finish my make-up upstairs. I can even use my phone for other things as it casts in the background. Your streaming experience is so much better on the TV than on a tiny phone or iPad screen, and you don’t have to worry about your child pushing buttons they shouldn’t on your computer or laptop. If you don’t get this now, I recommend buying it for a family Christmas gift. It is so worth it!
- PBS Kids website – As far as I could see there are only about 4 full episodes available at a time. They also have short clips in the PBS Parents page.
- Hulu Plus– This is a good option except it only includes Season 1, but it is better than nothing. The cost is $7.99 per month. which is comparable to the $8.99 that Netflix charges a month.
- YouTube: Full episodes are available here, but are $1.99 per episode. There are a couple of playlists that look worth checking out. Keep in mind, content on YouTube is constantly changing so what is available one day, may not be the next.
After all of this research, I think we will probably end up using our chromecast to watch
playlists of Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood on YouTube. seasons 1-6 on Amazon Prime Video. I may buy some DVDs of our favorite episodes on Amazon. DVDs are always nice for road trips too where streaming is not available. I hope you found this information helpful!
If you would like to share my content, please provide a link back to my website. Please do not use my images without permission.
This post contains Affiliate links. To read more about what that means, click here to see our Affiliate Area.
Sharing is Caring! Please share this with your friends using the Social Media Buttons below.
“Thank you, For Everything you do!”