Incorporating Scriptures into Holiday Celebrations:
At Christmas time last year I decided to try and focus our holiday celebrations more on Christ. We did lots of fun scripture activities to help us remember the Reason for the Season. I loved it so much that I have been trying plan activities to do together for all the Holidays we celebrate throughout the year. These scripture activities do not replace all the other Holiday shenanigans and festivities, they simply enhance them. Here is the Independence Day Activity I put together.
How to Make Independence Day Straw Rockets:
This activity is super easy to make and lots of fun! I will provide you with a free printable which includes scriptures related to our great Country the United States of America. Each scripture will be made into a straw rocket to be launched and then read. I got the idea for the straw rockets from the awesome blog The Pleasantest Thing. Check it out! You can either spread the 7 scriptures out throughout the week, launching one a day leading up to the 4th of July, or you can do them all in one night for a Family Home Evening Lesson. This might even be a fun Sharing Time activity in Primary since there are 5 Sundays in July this year. (July 3rd is a Sunday.) Click the link below to download the Scriptures.
This activity is geared toward Toddlers, because that is the stage of life that my family is in right now, but it can be adapted for older children as well. I have included additional resources for Parents to make it easy to expand upon the daily scriptures for a more in depth lesson. Adapt the activity to suit your families needs. You can keep it simple with the single verses, or you can add depth by utilizing the resources for additional activities including, coloring pages, a song, additional readings, a video, and cute stories from the Friend Magazine. I really enjoyed researching these scriptures and additional resources! I feel so blessed to be a part of this great Country! God Bless America! Happy 4th of July!
Parent’s Additional Resources:
- Psalms 33:12- One Nation Under God- Recite the Pledge of Allegiance and learn about it’s History.
- 1 Nephi 13:12- The prophet Nephi saw Christopher Columbus in a vision. Explore hidden objects in a coloring page of Christopher Columbus here.
- Galatians 5:13- We have been blessed with Liberty, and are invited to serve one another. Do service for someone today and sing/listen to the Song: I am Trying to Be Like Jesus
- Nahum 1:7- The Lord is a strong hold in the day of trouble. We can pray to Him in time of need. -Read The Answer, a short story about a boy who received an answer to a prayer when he was afraid.
- 3 Nephi 11:8- When Christ was on the earth he taught ” Other sheep I have that are not of this fold” as found in John 10:16. View a 3 minute video of Christ’s Sermon about His other sheep. After Christ was resurrected, He visited His other sheep in the Americas as found in 3 Nephi Chapter 11. This chapter is one of my very favorite chapters of scripture.
- John 8:12- As we admire the pretty lights from the fireworks this year, remember that Jesus Christ is the Light of the World. Check out this Light of the World Coloring Page
- Leviticus 25:10– Did you know this scripture is written on the Liberty bell? Read 10 Fascinating Facts about the Liberty Bell here.
Raised By Wolves Apparel:
If you are looking for cute patriotic apparel for your little ones, check out my friend’s shop Raised By Wolves Apparel! These shirts are perfect for the 4th of July. There are so many creative designs both patriotic and otherwise.
If you would like to share my content, please provide a link back to my website. Please do not use my images without permission.
Please Share the Love! Share on Social Media by clicking the buttons below!